#12 How Meditation Found Me


“The one thing that all forms of meditation have in common is that they address the worst part of the human condition; the mind. One of the most difficult concepts for others to understand is that you are not your thoughts. You are the consciousness that observes those thoughts. You are the thinker, not the thought. I believe we are all seeking a connection with a Higher Source and your Inner Being. And what I find is that the more I meditate, the more I love meditating and the simpler life becomes and the more clarify I receive. With this realisation, I never want to be without meditation.” - Thobekile Mbanda


We have heard and read about meditation from various international perspectives but what does meditation mean to a young South African woman? We found that meditation practices have a long history in Africa and across various cultures. Thobekile “iNtombi Yelanga” Mbanda is an African Ethnomusicologist who is deeply connected to her culture (Zulu) and her continent and she is curious about all things relating to that as well as cultures beyond her context. She shares her meditation journey with us and explains that ultimately, for herself, meditation is a tool to search for and be in tune with her true self.

Q: What made you choose meditation?

I would not say that I chose meditation, I think it has always been part of who I am and the older I get, the more clarity and appreciation I have for meditation. I was raised in a traditional Zulu homestead where we also practised Roman Catholicism. Later I was exposed to new-age Christianity and from there I explored Rastafarianism, which led me to learn more about Buddhism, Krishna and Islam. I concluded to the Universal Consciousness of being. One of the most apparent similarities I observed in my experience of these lifestyles and belief systems is that is necessary to be still and listen.

Q: Were you immediately good at meditating?

Not at all. It has been years of practise as well as a couple of 10-day silent retreats which have led me to this point. I would recommend starting with 15 minute daily meditation in the mornings in order to build the habit.


Q: What are some misconceptions you had about meditation?

There are a few misconceptions I had when I first started meditation. Firstly, I spent a long time interrogating the whole point of meditation and I really struggled with other people's definitions. I tried various meditation methods and techniques, candle visualisations, background music etc and eventually found something that worked for me. The key has been consistent practice and through that you slowly start seeing and feeling the power of meditation and the connectedness with the Inner Being. Secondly, I thought that meditation made you immune to life’s challenges but of course that’s not true. What I have learnt is that it equips you to better deal with these challenges. Lastly, the silencing of your mind; I have learnt that meditation is about finding silent spaces within and the mind silences itself when you no longer focus on the noise. 

Q: Are there any linkages between African culture/s that speak directly to meditation practice?

Yes. The majority, if not all, indigenous ways of life speak of some form of meditation.The most evident is our connection with nature. To us, nature is the first and true force of the All Knowing, the Omnipresent, Omniscient and Omnipotent which governs our behaviour. Some examples of African meditation include - Kemetic Meditation; Libation Meditation; and Ukuphahla meditation. While all these meditation practices differ, they converge towards the same pillars of understanding, namely, healing, awakening, manifesting, contemplating and transcending, which continue to inspire meditation today.



Q: Is there an ultimate goal to meditation? And what do you get out of it?

I think the ultimate goal of meditation is to have a connection with the Inner Being and mastering the ability to find silent spaces within oneself. However, I don’t think it is possible to reach this goal in one lifetime. What I get from meditation is relief and freedom to be aligned with the true nature my being and to shed the false self. Through meditation I have come to accept that I am the driving force of my existence. The first law of the 7 principles of the Universe teaches us that all is mental. Therefore, through your thoughts you create a living awareness; by actively reflecting on what you have been thinking, and through meditation, you heal your subconscious mind from the trauma, repetition and symbolism forced upon us in our unconscious state. Meditation is the true means of connecting and manifestation. It is living in awareness of the true nature of your being. For me, the most powerful truth is that meditation is about finding silent spaces within and knowing that all things will eventually pass so it is important to enjoy every moment. 

If you want to continue this conversation, reach out to Thobekile on facebook or instagram





Comments