#1 This is us

The universe saw it fit for our paths to cross in 2014 and the rest, as they say, is history. We share more than a birthday...we share beliefs, passion, purpose and a stellar sense of humour ;) In just four years we have been through so many experiences together; from career changes, relocation's, holidays, hairdo's, celebrations, frustrations, imaginations and laugh-till-you-can't-breath conversations. These things have all led us to starting Salt & Earth. 


In a society where fear and comfort has become the norm, there are pockets of brave people who believe in their dreams enough to pursue them - working hard, working smart and making an impact on those around them. These are the stories that we want to share, of people who are passionate about living life intentionally and who use their gifts and talents to live out their purpose...those who are not afraid to be the salt of the earth. 

WHO ARE WE?


Thembi: I am free spirited and full of life, compassionate, people-centric and I care about human development. I live for experiences and exploring so naturally, I'm keen on travel and trying new things, whether it's a new coffee shop, jazz cafe, the local playhouse or new hiking trails...if it's new, it excites me! Deep down I believe that I am creative so, along with my love for dance, I hope that this blog will also inspire me to dive into the things I believe make up the core of my being. 


Laurielle: I can summarize myself in four words; Christian, whimsical, contemplative and adaptable. Jesus is at the core of who I am, where I am and where I am going. If you understand that about me then you will understand a lot of why I do what I do. While I can be outrageously silly and love being outdoors sitting in the sun doing nothing, I am also a really big nerd and believe excel is one of the world's greatest inventions ever! I love people and I love that moment when a stranger becomes friend...I believe that you can find a piece of yourself in any other person, you just have to be patient enough to look for it. 

WHAT SEASON, DISH & COLOUR ARE YOU? 

Thembi: I would say that I am summer because it’s happy and colourful. It makes you want to get out and do things but also chill when it’s too hot haha. The food that best describes me is sweet corn because it’s a sweet but savoury at the same time...and me, I can be serious sometimes but I'm also just a really nice down-to-earth person...and it's cheerful because of the yellow. 



Laurielle: I'm definitely winter - you don't really know what to expect of me until I've arrived :) I often take people by surprise but like every season...there's always a good reason for me being there. I'd like to think of myself as an apple because it's small and always available! My colour would be black - versatile and solid...just like my favourite pair of shoes. 


WHAT IS THE INSPIRATION BEHIND THE BLOG? 

The hope is that we create a ripple effect of inspiration, conversation and action. This blog is a reflection of where we are right now in our lives and what we need to get us through this season...it is something that would motivate and encourage us to do what we are really passionate about...building people. 


WHAT WOULD YOU SAY IS EACH OTHER'S QUIRK? 

Thembi: I always say that Laurielle is the best person to take anywhere because she does have this ability to adapt, get on with people and thrive in any new situations with new people. But I think this is also why she talks so much! And I have to listen. Although I do sometimes ask for quiet time and she will happily oblige☺ 


Laurielle: I'm not sure if this is a quirk or a super-power, but Thembi's ability to eat manly amounts of food and still maintain a surfboard flat stomach will never become normal to me haha! But also, her talent for anything to do with hair and ability to pull off any hairstyle is something that makes her stand out from a crowd! 



WHAT DO YOU INVEST YOUR TIME & MONEY IN? 



Thembi: Definitely travelling and food, both of which are ultimately about spending time with people. In the future I hope to invest in my community in a more tangible way and to explore my creative pursuits.


Laurielle: Hmmm, definitely good coffee! I'm a really good saver if that counts as 'spending' money...I just like to know that I'm being responsible for the future. One of my biggest purchases lately was my home gym equipment which I'm super proud of. My time usually goes towards making memories with friends and family and also more recently, studying or reading up on things I want to learn more about...like nutrition and theology. 


WHAT IMPACT DO YOU WANT TO HAVE ON OTHERS?

Thembi: I really want to restore hope, that is my impact I would like to have.


Laurielle: I want to make people feel worthy of another person's time and effort. I want to empower young adults with core life skills like; goal planning, living a healthy lifestyle and being a good steward of their resources to help them reach their highest potential. 



WHAT IS OUR MOTTO/VALUES THAT YOU LIVE BY? 

Thembi: There are probably 2 values that I live by. The first is to be kind to one another and the other is respecting time because it is the most valuable commodity we have in this life. 


Laurielle: If you don't have peace about something, wait. And if you still don't have peace, then wait some more. Impatience is no man's virtue.


WHAT ADVICE WOULD YOU GIVE YOUR YOUNGER SELF? 

Thembi: I would tell my younger self to throw herself into creative activities. I would tell her to dance, to play musical instruments and I would tell her to draw. These are the things wish I had done when I was younger. 


Laurielle: That being agreeable doesn't make you a good person. It's okay to have your own opinions and it's okay to be wrong sometimes...as long as you learn and move forward without pride. Also, it's okay to not be liked by everyone.



Please come along with us on this journey as we share stories and hear from people who embody #IntentionalLiving.

Comments

  1. I love this!! You are both amazing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Girls - looking forward to more content ��

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome initiative guys! The heart of this blog stirs something within. I know it will for others too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! Love that it does that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done guys! This the best South African next gen content yet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi guys .....where are you? I can do with a good read please

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are here! You don't have to wait much longer. We are posting again today so come back soon to see what we have been working on.

      Delete

Post a Comment