#2 Ruth and Naomi

Meet Sim...
There are those people who say and then those who do. But then there are those who say, do and do more – this is how we’d describe our first featured Intentional Live-er (yes, we did just coin that phrase haha). But seriously, this soul is the epitome of a good soldier in a storm, the person you’d call when you need to smile, the friend at the finish line or more accurately, the one who runs the race with you! She’s an inspiration because she is not afraid to be exactly who she is and do exactly what she loves. Sim takes us on a journey of self-discovery and self acceptance. She uses her creativity to share her uniqueness, to engage with different kinds of people and to make a a difference.



Tell us about yourself.


Sim: My name is Simbongile Cele but people know me as Sim. I grew up in Port Shepstone. I am a creative entrepreneur. At the moment I am free-lancing. I love Jesus, I love people and I love either thrifting or making clothes.

If you were a season, dish or colour, what would you be and why?


Sim: If I were a season, I would be autumn because sometimes I am really warm but sometimes I can be quite cold. If I were a dish, I would be mashed potatoes because I am comforting. And if I were a colour, I would be yellow. Not for any particular reason other than the fact that I love the colour, but also because it comes in many different hues. In the same way that yellow has many hues, no individual is one dimensional. So I can display different sides of myself at any given time but I am still Sim. 

Any quirks or traits that your family or friends would attribute to you?


Sim: I asked my best friend and she described me in this way; infectious laughter, joy, compassion, warmth and love. She pointed out that my personality is the personification of warmth.


What sparked your interest in sewing?


Sim: My mother. She used to have a sewing machine and there were always unfinished sewing projects at home. Another thing is the trouble of not finding clothing in my size.

How did you get started on this journey towards Ruth & Naomi Creatives?

Sim: After I heard the bible story about Ruth and Naomi, what really stood out to me in this story is the power of what women can achieve together. So since I was in grade 6 I knew that I wanted to own a company with this name. I knew that I wanted the company to make a difference and I wanted to use my creativity. My dad was self-employed and I always thought that I would also own my own business one day but I didn't want it to be purely for profit.  

I started sewing for myself in my room, customising clothes that I had bought and making one of a kind pieces for myself. Fast forward to earlier this year, my friend Courtney and I had lunch together and spoke about all our creative dreams and what we wanted to pursue. We had no real plan but we knew that we just wanted to get started. We knew that we didn't want it to be purely for profit.   

What is your vision for Ruth and Naomi Creatives? 

Sim: The company is in its infancy stage and we are still trying to find our product niche but our ultimate goal is that Ruth and Naomi Creatives will be sustainable and environmentally friendly, that it will empower women, and will give back to communities. At the moment moment we are making tote bags out of recycled work ware material and macrame plant holders out of T-shirt yarn. We also make pencil cases, purses and decor items.


Where do you draw your inspiration from?


Sim: From bloggers and vloggers. They have created a self-sustaining industry by doing things for themselves that were previously only available to companies with big budgets.

What is the first thing you do when you wake up, and the last thing you do at night?


Sim: I usually groan about having to wake up and I say a prayer to the Lord to help me get up. But funny enough, I love being awake. It's just the process of waking up which I am not a fan of. At night I usually talk to Jesus about everything and then I will read a book and watch a comedy series at the same time just before bed.

What is the biggest failure or lesson that allowed you to grow?

Sim: The biggest lesson I learnt from my mentor is that I need to manage my expectations. People aren't always going to do, be or respond the way you want them to. The reverse of that is also true because you are also not always going to do, be or respond the way others expect you to.


What is the hardest thing about the journey that you are on, and how do you manage it?


Sim: I think the hardest thing is not having the success be what you expected it to be yet still feeling that your are successful because you are actually doing what you wanted to do. I manage this by just tackling each project as it comes and not taking things personally when people don't like my stuff.

What would be your advice to people who wish to pursue their passion but are scared or don't know how to do so?

Sim: The main thing to know is that you are won't ever stop being scared. But rather be scared doing something as opposed to day dreaming and doing nothing.  

What are your goals for the next 5 years?

Sim: I would like to start another company (I have a few ideas), grow Ruth and Naomi Creatives. I also want to write a children's book and leadership book for teenagers because I think leadership is such an important skill for young people to possess, especially nowadays. Lastly, I would like to start a family in the next 5 years. 

What advice would you give to your younger self?

Sim: I would say, don't try so hard to be what you think you are meant to be. Just be yourself. I would also tell her to get started earlier because you do know what you want your life to look like. 

What is your motto in life?

Sim: My motto in life, which I also want to get as a tattoo, is 'Coram Deo'. It means 'to live one's entire life in the presence of God, under the authority of God, to the glory of God'. 

If you want to see more from Ruth & Naomi Creatives, visit them on the here https://www.instagram.com/ruthandnaomicreatives/

Comments