#8 Lucky

To my dad...


Lucky

Lucky to have had you this long
Lucky to have had you at all

What a wonderful thing to have been made for you
I wish I could relive every single moment with you
Wanted for nothing because you did everything a father should do
And even when you fell short
You picked a partner that was strong enough to carry us all through


They say you are in a better place
They say you are at peace
But how will I find my peace when you are not here with me?

At night, I'm haunted by your face

Unable to accept that at least in this life, 
I will never see you again
And when i wake up it's to a bitter taste of knowing you're not around

You come silently in the middle of the night
We wait for you, yet you still catch us by surprise
Death, you are crafty and unkind
And unapologetic in the way you leave us with broken hearts


Now, if I try for a moment not to think of myself
I guess I pray that you are resting,
That you are comfortable and happy where you are 
Since you left all the anguish, pain and worry of your flesh behind

I know without a doubt that we were lucky to have had you this long,
Lucky to have had you at all

Comments

  1. A poem from the heart ♥️

    ReplyDelete
  2. A poem from the heart! ♥️ I can’t even imagine how great a father he was! From this poem, I am in owe! Legendary piece indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Such a heartfelt and moving piece. ❤

    ReplyDelete
  4. 'We wait for you, yet you still catch us by surprise' - so true. You are so lucky to have had such a father. Love this blog post.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment